James E. Roberts-Obayashi corporation traces its origins back
to 1932, when Jim Roberts and Gene Moore formed the partnership
of Moore & Roberts Builders in San Francisco. From its inception,
the partnership created a lasting reputation for building quality
World War II, Moore & Roberts were contracted by the Federal
Government to build hospitals, barracks, warehouses, officers'
quarters and literally thousands of public housing units under
demanding circumstances and time constraints.
In 1956, Jim Roberts re-established the company in Oakland, CA
as the James E. Roberts Company. In the ensuing years, the company
experienced a period of dramatic growth during the post-war building
boom. The expertise and practices developed during the war enabled
us to construct a variety of buildings on tight schedules and
brought significant advantages in our approach to all projects.
In the 1970s, Jim Roberts sold his share in the company to his
partners, Ed Winthers and Jack Cody.